It goes without saying that security is important, especially for small businesses where employees may be sharing accounts. Many are likely using basic passwords that could easily be hacked. Even worse, sharing usernames and passwords via email or in shared documents can get risky.
How to Ensure Your Business Passwords are Secure
If the same email log-in is being paired with the same password across multiple platforms, the chances of being hacked increase exponentially. We encourage our clients to share these tips with their employees:
- Have a different password for each of your accounts.
- Strong passwords are critical (uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters).
- Use a password generator when possible and store the passwords in a management system so you will always have them available when needed.
How Password Management Can Change the Game
Managing complex passwords among a team with multiple accounts can get complicated.
This is where password management comes in handy – specifically with one of our favorite tools, LastPass. With this tool, you can:
- Share passwords with your team safely and securely
- Integrate your business directory
- Give employees automatic access to each platform
- Embed 2-step authentication
What is LastPass?
LastPass has a plethora of features and is compatible with almost all devices – Mac, Windows, iPhone, Android, and more. LastPass is free for single users. The business accounts won’t break the bank either ($48-$72 per person annually). Here are some of our favorite features:
- Password vault manager: safely save passwords via the vault for banking, email, social media websites, and more
- Password generator tool: encourage staff to create secure, random passwords using this generator
- Save and Autofill: login with one click. Also, you can share passwords with employees and not allow the password to be viewed. This is incredibly helpful when a staff member leaves your company. There is no need to change passwords as you can just remove their access to company sites globally.
What is LastPass for Businesses?
LastPass business accounts add another level of protection and ease when it comes to improving your business’s security. We love included features such as:
- Enterprise Password Management (EPM): Employee credentials are gathered and stored, allowing IT access without the work of superfluous approvals and integrations
- Single Sign-On (SSO): With LastPass Business, your employees get automatic access to multiple apps under one set of credentials. No more memorizing thousands of complicated passwords!
- Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA): Admins have the ability to add a layer of security by verifying employees identity through SMS codes, fingerprints, and more!
Interested in using LastPass for your business? Click here to schedule time with us, and we can help get you set up.